A. Reader

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Shopgirl by Steve Martin

My book club read the book for February. A slim volume and I had high hopes for the book - even though the movie was pretty well trashed by critics.
The story started well and I was quite impressed with funnyman Martin's writing style. He created the lonely shop girl, Mirabelle who works in the glove department of Neiman's, "selling things that nobody buys any more."
Of course, about the time that I am thinking that I might want to recommend the book to a couple people suddenly the F-bomb is dropped. And dropped frequently throughout the book. Not that I am a prude, but I really didn't need it more than the first time that was a shock value to the conversation.
The main character is a bit passive for everything that is going on around her, but she does make progress within the book.
Otherwise the story is cleverly written with moments of graceful pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home